Southgate Compton Cricket Club was formed from a merger between Southgate County Old Boys and Compton cricket clubs in 1970. Southgate County was a school based in Fox Lane, Southgate open between September 1910 and July 1960 when it moved to Sussex Way, Cockfosters as Southgate School.After many years of competitive friendlies we joined the Herts League. Since its restructuring in 2000, our first XI were confined to division 6 for many years. However, after narrowly missing promotion several years in a row, in 2009 we finished third in the league to finally go up. We consolidated our position in division 5 in the following years, finishing in the top half of the table.
Our second XI have struggled since the restructuring of the league, with three successive relegations in the early noughties. We consolidated our position in division 11 for many years, though were relegated to division 12 in 2010. However, with the colts going from strength to strength and with a few new players, we restored our division 11 position for the coming year, with promotion. We look forward to challenging to move further up the leagues.
Our colts were formed in 1995 by club legends Jim Grocott and John Rose, joining the Middlesex Colts leagues a couple of years after. After some good initial seasons, Derrick Worth, took over the colts and added some much need impetus. The colts are now run by Keith Walker, with the help of Andy "Boris" Grayson and an ever growing team of coaches. The past few seasons have been successful with our under 11s and under 15s winning league titles.
For a more in-depth history of the club please see "50 Not Out" - Carole Robinson's history of cricket at Hadley Field.
Below, are the Presidents, Chairmen and 1st XI Captains through the history of the club: